Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Anne Hathaway, "Get Happy" and other travesties

Dominion October 1957



Oh dear, someone, who is not qualified, is intending to tell the Judy Garland story again.  Now MORE people will come up to me and say “I have just seen...so and so-- and did you know…. so and so about Judy?”  I will want to KILLL but I will smile sweetly and reply and tell them that I knew Judy and she was not like that at all   They will look at me with pity, because after all who am I, and believe what they read in a half baked book, article or play. 

Hathaway seems a nice enough young woman who seems to admire Judy but I would have preferred an actor of the caliber of  Stockard Channing to portray Judy – alas too late now.   And there is the height difference!  Judy was petite, only 4’11.1/2” and this is an important aspect of who she was and how she dealt with life.  How does a beautiful willowy gal, who would be more suited to portray Ave Gardner or Rita Hayworth, transform herself into Mr. Mayer’s little hunchback? 

Apparently this movie is to be based on the book of Gerald Clarke.  I had great hopes when I learned of Mr. Clarke’s book because I knew he had been in contact with Sonny Gallagher, a long time fan, writer and collector of Judy material and I’d hope some of the truth of Judy’s life would emerge but that was not to be.   I suppose this is the type of book that sells.  How sad.

Now to the play which is currently on Broadway (the title of which I refuse to remember).  I was in England at the time of the previews and invited to see the play, but declined.  I had seen Judy perform and knew her. 

Mr. Quilter, the author of unnamed play, tells that he got the idea for the story while watching a cruise singer reluctant to perform – well why didn’t he complete the play with this cruise singer?  Why transfer the idea to the life of Judy Garland?   I can only imagine the horror to Judy’s children with all this talk about their mother.  They knew what a loving woman she was.   

My concern is for the young fans who are discovering her.  Instead of enjoying her movies, recordings, they will see a distorted image of her.   Those who write these plays, movies etc. do not consult with people who actually knew Judy; as Meredith, Eleanor and The Bench Wenches, Lorna Smith  – not to forget the many fans who were lucky enough to spend time with her after a concert.

When Lorna Smith, who accompanied Judy and Mickey Deans from the Ritz Hotel to Talk of the Town every night for five weeks acting as her dresser, tried to explain to Mr. Quilter some of the inaccuracies, they were not interested in anything she had to say.  They had a vehicle which was going to make them money, correct or not.  Judy was always aware of those who made money out of her, and she must be watching wryly.   The most stress before leaving the Ritz was Lorna running around looking for Judy’s reading glasses – as documented in her book, “Judy with Love.”

When I hear that “Come Rain or Come Shine” is one of the focal points of the play, I want to cry.  I saw Judy perform this many times and one night I was lucky enough to be in front row at the Dominion 1957, right at her feet!   I have written about this occasion as being one of the high lights of my many theatrical experiences and to have it shown in a hysterical manner is so unjust.  Judy knew exactly what she was doing on stage, she would chuckle at the end and say simply “Gosh that was a loud one, let’s do a quieter one next”.

But I must not finish on a down note.  Judy would not want that.  I have visions of Eleanor and I picketing the theater and me throwing white wash and getting arrested.   Judy would see the funny side of that and have a good laugh. 




8 comments:

  1. Absolutely AWESOME! Yes, as one long time fan, whose name I have forgotten, once said, "Judy's talent will stand on its own in the face of all the criticism and inaccuracies attributed to her career and her life". But just in case, we still have our ever faithful "Judy Police" out there: John Fricke and Steve Sanders. They will make sure the record stays straight. God bless Judy Garland now and always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious words! It is thanks to people who "really" love Judy , like John Fricke, Steven Sanders, Lorna Smith and Joan, that Judy's uniqueness will remain untouched by falsehoods and distortions of those who want to trivialize her greatness to meet the worst instincts of the audience of today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for mentioning me as a member of "The Judy Police"...Joan is certainly at the front of the line. Unlike myself, Joan was THERE, lived it in present tense, and thus has an authority, understanding and perspective that few of us "late comers" have...as disturbing and enraging as this new play is, I can only imagine how Joan, Lorna, Ken and many of the esteemed "Old Guard" feel about this tragedy, which diminishes, distorts and decimates the legacy of Judy Garland to the unaware; affirming the worst to those so inclined to wallow in such garbage. Awards will be given, dollars are being made and Judy, in death as in life, nothing is left for her -- the bones being picked by vultures who have no regard for the truth or respect for the woman, mother, human being who also happened to be the greatest entertainer of the century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, your comment about "in death as in life, nothing is left for her", and the vultures picking her bones with no regard for her as a person or as the greatest of entertainers, resonated through my mind like a thunderclap. If there IS a tragedy in Judy's life, it is that, for all the talent and insight and intelligence that she brought to her art, she simply wasn't canny enough to fend off the blood-suckers who purported to love her but just wanted to use her, since they could see that she had enough ability to go round all of them.

      However, thankfully there remain some outstanding people who have striven hard to redress the imbalances and iniquities and just plain slander, and, without doubt, eventually their efforts will prevail. Right near the top of this list would have to be yourself... "Rainbow's End" remains the book about Judy that I (and just about all of my friends)most revere (I finished reading it and turned straight back to Page 1.... and every year I find an excuse to read it again)for its fair and balanced account -- the "thorns" by no means omitted, but set beside an unwavering acknowledgement that this was the most remarkable talent the cinema, the recording studio, and the concert hall have ever known. Comparing Judy with the enterainers of today is like comparing a preschooler's sketch to the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel... she was a whole new species.

      Strength to your arm!

      Delete
    2. I am touched to be included with Le Fricke and Mr. Sanders.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting entry, and I do agree that Get Happy is a wreck; Hathaway is in no position to portray Judy; and looking over inaccuracies of a script in favor of melodrama (which brings in the money!), is despicable. BUT, I think you give yourself far too much credit, too. There are many, many sides to any person. The Judy you knew wasn't the Judy Liza knew; she wasn't the Judy Lorna knew; she wasn't the Judy Mark Heron knew; she wasn't the Judy her co-stars knew, or her doctor, or her housekeeper, or her accountant. When you write of her -- and I do enjoy reading your recollections -- you must emphasize this as YOUR experience with Judy, not a general, accepted as-is experience. Isn't that why neither of us can stand Get Happy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joan! I just began to read your blog and I'm completely IN LOVE with it <3 THANK YOU sooo much! You know I'm actually a girl of 25 who became a Judy Garland fan not long ago, please don't think that means I know very little about her and I only like her because of the "icon" she's considered to be. I absolutely ADORE Judy Garland, as the extraordinary artists she was and the strong and vulnerable woman she became, I love the sincerity in her big round eyes, the heart-warming strength in her voice, the irony in her laughter and the bravery she showed to cope with a world filled with people who only wanted to take advantage of her. I do really love HER, in my eyes she will always be a magical creature. And that's why I want to thank you for taking the time to write this and share it with us... it's like I FINALLY have found someone who understands me, I don't really know any other Judy fans and I can tell you it can get very lonely... it's sad to have something so wonderful but have no one to share it with. So I thank you, for giving me a place where I can rejoice in my love for Judy and share with others who love her as much as I do =) =) =)

    ReplyDelete