Friday, October 25, 2013

Peter Mac as Judy Garland

In April this year, Jan Glazier organized a "Judy in Hollywood" event and one of the entertainers was Peter Mac; whose claim to fame is that he manages to recreate Judy on stage doing one of her shows.  One might call him an impersonator, but he is really more than that. He manages to convince the die hard Judy fans that he really is Judy! It is a very peculiar experience for those of us who love Judy; because very often we would prefer not to see one of these shows.

Anyway Peter Mac is on the agenda. Jon Perdue, wondered if he should buy a ticket and asks if I am going. Long time fan Wayne Lawless, who probably saw Judy as many times as I did, had assured me that Peter was good and had seen him several times. "Go ahead and get a ticket, it will be fun" I tell Jon.

It is the first evening reception when we all meet up again or find new friends.  A knock on the door and in bursts Peter Mac as Judy wearing the blue jacket and black straight dress. He grabs the mike and immediately starts chattering to us as Judy, finishing leading us into a sing-a-long.  I observe his manager, Dj, keeping an eye on him from the door way.

Afterward he passes among us chatting, as Judy, and we are enchanted with him. He compliments me on my jacket, rather as Judy might have done - being the expert she was on jackets!!
  
Later in the weekend we go to the little night club, the Oil Can, where Peter is performing and watch his two part concert. Garland Overture started, it was just like waiting for Judy to come out and sing. Peter sang all the usual opening songs, "I feel a song coming on", "Zing," Trolley Song," "Palace Melody" etc., but the thing which enchanted me so much was his chatter between songs. Peter and Dj had obviously done their reading and homework. They knew Judy life; her ups and downs and saw Judy very much in the same way I did. 
 
 
We have an interval and then "Just in Time," "Battle Hymn of the Republic," "I'd like to Hate Myself in the Morning," "Maybe I'll come back" among others and finishing with "Rainbow" and "Get Happy."  Again, for me, it was not the songs which enchanted me but rather the life history which Peter manages to transmit to us in-between songs.

Sam Irwin (author of the book, "Kay Thompson") and Peter Mac

 
Afterwards, Peter removes his make-up and runs up to me as himself and I finally see his true self. 
Peter Mac and Wayne Lawless
Later we are all together at the final dinner. Thank you Peter for bringing Judy back for a few hours.
Peter Mac and his manager, Dj. Schaefer

3 comments:

  1. I love the book on Kay Thompson. I saw her act decades ago with the Williams brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience it was meeting Peter and DJ! They are both supremely talented and wonderful people. I believed Peter as Judy from first sight and getting to hear him and interact with him when he was in character was something very, very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to say this however I must , I really do not understand anyone who says that Peter Mac was out of this world and so convincing as Judy if you do think this in my opinion then you have never really watched Judy garland ,!! Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone but this is my personal opinion,

    ReplyDelete