Thursday, January 1, 2015

Sweden and Devon, UK

I left Istanbul on a charming flight with Turkish Airlines and I can thoroughly recommend them.

It was a short 3 hour flight to Stockholm where I was greeted warming by the customs man and entered the efficient smooth running airport. Inger and daughter, Marika where there to greet me. It was so good to see them again. We took the elevator down to the train station and caught the train to Tyreso, where the family lives. Marika's son, David, picked us up at the local station and we were soon in Inger's apartment. Many people with families live in houses in the town, but often single people live in one of the many apartments; these apartments are situated within walking distance of each other and Marika, her friend, Brit-Marie and a son live in nearby apartment blocks within sight of one another. So it is nice that Inger has her family nearby. There is also a small shopping mall with several grocery, drug stores, coffee houses and clothing stores. Very convenient and efficient, as most things are in Sweden.

Inger and I met at a cricket match in Los Angeles in the early 1960s; both our husbands played on the same team. We spent many hours together with our children in Los Angeles and later when both families moved to the San Francisco area 1967. Later Inger returned to Sweden with her children and I have been able to visit her through the years when in the England visiting my mother and watch the family grow.

me with Barbro and Inger-twins
Marika, friend,Brit-Marie, and three grandsons had visited California last year. so there was lots of catching up to do, along with visiting Inger's sons, Kenneth and Markus and their families. The next few days with spent having delicious dinners and conversations.
Mimi, Dennis, Carita and Markus
Inger, Dennis, David, Brit-Marie and Patrick
Stefan, Kenneth, Susanne and Inger

Marika and me

Stockholm

I am always interested in the social fabric of society and to study Sweden is fascinating. Inger sustained damage to her knees years ago due to a car accident and is handicapped. The State provide an electric cart for her for her life time and built an enclosure at the side of her building. She is also able to travel with a pass on the trains. Another really neat thing is that she can call a taxi to take her to son's house, or any other errand and she pays with a card and receives a bill at the end of the month for what it would have cost her to travel on public transport. So much safer than trying to struggle on and off trains and buses. They certainly look after their people in Sweden.

Then off to the UK and my family in Devon. It is always lovely to be embraced into this kindly family of my second cousin, Owen, who had sadly left us. His wife, Kath, has a warm and cosie farm house deep in the hills of North Devon in a little village of Yarnscombe. As this is the place where my paternal grandmother was brought up and married I decided to honor her by naming my publishing company after this village.
Valerie, has always been interested in family history and so this visit was trying to find out information about the history of the family. We spent hours on the family tree and traveled all over Devon. This certainly was a sentimental journey. We visited Ilfracombe where my mother and grandmother often visited during the war years.
Kath and I having a sherry
Kath and postman
me and Val


We first visited the Parish Church in Yarnscombe where my grandmother was married on September 28, 1886. Strangely I was married on September 28 also.
Then we drove down to South Devon and visited some more second cousins and found St. Andrew's Church in Ashburton, where my grandfather owned the local pharmacy, Beck's. It is a delightful village and I wondered why they moved to Sussex. Now Lloyds is the local chemist.
Judith,Val,Gwenyth & Arthur

 I have so much research to do. Thanks to Val for getting me started.

Then I am on the train from Tiverton to Beverley, Yorkshire to join my Judy friends at the International Judy Garland Club meeting.

Val inside St. Andrews
Ashnurton high street

No comments:

Post a Comment