Sunday, July 3, 2011

Continuation of saga of why I am writing

The next spring I think about going to the big Judy Garland Festival in honor of Judy’s 75th birthday in Grand Rapids and start trying to find out about it.  Of course, I called the Michigan Tourist Office first before I found my way to Minnesota. (Now you would think as a Judy fan I would know it was Minnesota, but when Lorna Smith wrote her book, “Judy, with Love” she started of with Judy being born in Murfressboro, Tennessee, but that is another story.)  I managed to locate the site and plan to attend, but my life becomes very confused as there were other demands on my time and an opportunities to go work in a archaeology laboratory in Mexico, and it appears that the dates clash, I can’t do both!    But the Mexican “dig people” keep changing their minds about exactly which day they will arrive in Mexico City and everyone is coming in at different times.  I decide I will try to do both activities and fly on a night flight (the only one) to Minneapolis, rent a car and drive four hours to Grand Rapids, spend the weekend, and then rush back down to the airport on the Sunday night and fly out to Mexico City, on the Monday.  Everything works out fine and the Mexico trip is worth a book in itself, but back to Judy. 
            I am a little apprehensive about attending a Festival on my own, being basically rather shy--yes I am!   I am checking out the rental car and the woman at the next counter asks about the route to Grand Rapids and I catch her eye.  It takes one to know one and I meet my first friends, Bill and Carolyn Seibel.   After the long drive to Grand Rapids I check into the Sawmill Hotel, where most of the Judy activities were taking place, the first people I meet are five or six 15 year old girls and one boy from Holland of a similar age.   They are all wearing Judy tee shirts and I want to know how they became friends - from the internet club, they say.  They all live in different parts of the country and have met for the first time that day and they are very excited. (It is really for these young people are the reason I am writing this).   Moments later Sid Luft comes down the stairwell and goes into the indoor Jacuzzi.   The girls and boy run screaming after him, “We know it is Sid from his baggy eyes.”  I have not forgotten how to be a fan I’m not going to be left behind.  I leave my suitcases in the middle of the hallway and follow the girls.   Sid is shaking hands with the girls and after they leave I say “Hello Sid, do you remember me from the recording studio in London, with Lorna Smith, in the 60s?”  “Of course,” he says (what else could he say?) “And what are you doing here dear?”  “I’m here for the same reason you are, here for the 75th Festival.   Isn’t it wonderful about all the young fans”  and we talk of  this and how the last time I had seen Joey was when he was five years old at the CBS Television Studio.   Joey didn’t seem very impressed with this memory, but later we will have several delightful conversations about his mother, and Sid and I talked more.  
            The days in Grand Rapids were filled with meetings with other fans.  I was on a panel, trying to explain what it was like to attend one of Judy’s concerts and this experience led me to dig down deep into my soul to remember things and begin to articulate them.  I realized that I had experiences which others had not been able to have and that I should share these memories. (Afterwards people came up to me and asked me for my autographs!!  I was no one, why did they want my autograph? It was then I realized I should share my memories and the first started using the expressions, “Always for Judy.”)   This panel was organized by the UK Fan Club and they urged me to attend their next meeting which will be held two days after my arrival in England.  I was going to be there for three months and another club meeting was held before I left in October.   So suddenly I am being immersed in “Judy.”  I am meeting so many old friends and most importantly I am meeting so many new young fans of Judy.
my inspiration-I have kept in touch with one of these girls 

Sid can be a charmer-we talk of surviving cancer

believe this is dear Michael Siewert, we were so young then

the panel

1 comment:

  1. I love these pictures! Is that Elizabeth in the first picture in this post -- in the middle of the picture of kids at the Festival?

    ReplyDelete