Saturday, July 23, 2011

Judy's sense of humor!

I'm bogged down with the whole business of finding an agent versus publishing on my own and for two pins I'll print about 100 copies of my book and give to my friends and wash my hands of the whole affair!  

But I'm not writing for me; I'm writing for Judy because I feel there needs to be a book out there which gives some understanding of her life; she deserves nothing more.

So back to my discovery of the lady called Judy Garland.  

I often wondered why it was the "Judy"  in Strike up the Band that captured my attention.  Just recently I watched all the Mickey/Judy movies in sequence and when I got to Strike up the Band I understood!  It was Judy's sense of humor which caught my attention; the wry funny looks she give Mickey has she listens to his latest crazy plans; the wistful "Our Love Affair;" the beautiful "Nobody" sang in the library--amongst all the lovers of the world--and she has no one.   

In checking in Emily R Coleman's book, "The Complete Judy Garland" I see one of the sscreenplay writers was Freddie Finklehoffe.  Of course!  Freddie was devoted to Judy and probably loved her all his life and certainly understood her.  He brought out her sense of humor in the scripts he wrote for her (also worked on Babes on Broadway, For Me and My Gal,  Girl Crazy, Meet Me in St. Louis and Words and Music) Judy was with Freddie in New York when she met Sid Luft in 1951.

So thank you Freddie Finklehoffe; one of the people behind the scenes who loved Judy and did everything he could for her.  He was apparently very disappointed when she met and fell for Sid. 

Always for Judy,  joan

P.S Has anyone seen a photo of them together?

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure, but this might possibly be Finklehoffe with Judy on the set of "Meet Me in St. Louis":
    http://www.thejudyroom.com/louis/images/1944-MMiSL-Set-04.png

    ReplyDelete