Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Dominion, London 1957

I have going to continue with my saga about how I got to write this book, but so captivated by Gary Horrocks talking about Judy's visit to the Dominion; this is foremost in my mind + internet been down all day because of power outages, it is very hot here.


this was our group then, Lorna Smith in front

we get to meet Judy after the last performance
Ninnie me in standing at the back....very shy...what a twerp I was...

I can't begin to explain how exciting it was in London that November, a chill in the air, shops full of Christmas decorations.  Judy was coming, we had not seen her since 1951 and by then we were a close group, maybe twenty or so in the London area.  We'd been listening to the LPs, JUDY, etc. and we'd seen "A Star is Born" but not any of the television specials.   We all ran out and bought as many tickets as we could afford and seeing as I got in on opening night, received a individual LP that Judy had recorded just for that night, as a "thank you" to the London audiences,  who she loved.  But I shouldn't say more now, watch the information coming from Gary and The International Judy Garland Club.  Now how to I download a photograph? 




 

3 comments:

  1. You were listening to CD's in 1956? You were really ahead of your time considering they didn't exist yet. Also you talk of not having seen her TV series, well no one else in the world had either because it didn't air until 1963. When you saw her she had only done two of the eventual four TV specials. And the name of the movie is "A Star is Born," not "The Star Is Born."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so kind to point out my error. Of course we had LPs then. Thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your touching story and photos! What an experience that must have been ...

    ReplyDelete